Temporary license – only available to someone who has just graduated from an OT or OTA program and before taking the first available NBCOT exam, and who has never held a license in any US State, territory, or foreign country. Chapter 364
The Board must receive:
- The complete online or paper application form with the paid application fees;
- A passport type photo affixed to the application, or mailed in. The photo should be 2" x 3" on photographic paper, with the printed name of the applicant & last 4 digits of SSN on the reverse side in dark ink;
- Successfully passed jurisprudence (JP) exam, an open book exam, based on the OT Act and Rules;
- SSN, or notarized affidavit of no SSN;
- Physical home address;
- Email address;
- NEW: Mailed, faxed or emailed copy of the NBCOT examination receipt which show that a score report has been ordered for Texas; This must be done before the ATT letter is issued, as NBCOT will not let you access the receipt after the ATT letter is issued.
- NBCOT Form, The Confirmation of Examination Registration and Eligibility to Examine Form. (Make arrangements for NBCOT to send us this form);
- Temporary license fee in addition to the regular application fee paid via check, money order, or online with application. [This can be paid online as part of the application or sent in separately in a check];
- Supervision Form signed by the OT. Make copies of this form to take to the job interview. When you accept a job, mail or fax this signed form into the Board. [You can find this form on the Forms page of this website];
- We must receive your score from the dates on NBCOT's Confirmation of Examination Registration and Eligibility to Examine Form. No score report will result in the cancellation of the temporary license. §364.3(d)
The Temporary license when issued has a 4 month duration, but we will receive your score within two months and when we receive a passing score a regular license is issued. If you do not take the exam in the 90 days listed in your NBCOT ATT letter and reflected in the Confirmation of Examination Registration and Eligibility to Examine Form (sent to us by NBCOT), your temporary license will be voided. There is no extension or second temporary license. §364.3
Temporary licensees must have all their notes co-signed and receive extra supervision. An OT with a temporary license must have on-site an OT with a regular license. An OTA with a temporary license must have on-site, an OT or OTA with a regular license. These and other rules about the temporary license are in §373.2 of the rules.
Can I work in home health?
Temporary licensees must work with another licensee on-site. An OT with a temporary license must have another OT with a regular license on-site. An OTA with a temporary license must have an OT or OTA with a regular license on-site. This is true for all settings including home health.
How long will I practice on my temporary license?
On average approximately 2 months, depending on whether you take the exam early in your ATT period or later. If you do not pass the first available exam or fail to take the exam in the reported time period your temporary license will be voided, even though the temporary license date has not expired. Read §364.3, Temporary License in the OT Rules.