Adopted rule changes to Chapter 367, Continuing Education, in addition to other chapters, will take effect March 1, 2018.
If CE you complete before March 1, 2018 for your current renewal period met the requirements of the OT Rules at the time, you will be able to use it when you renew.
Refer to the Act and Rules page for further information regarding the current rules and the adopted rule changes that take effect March 1. From that page, you can also access a link to search for previous versions of the OT Rules.
In addition, note that as the Type 1 and Type 2 designations in the OT Rules were removed as of July 1, 2016, when you renew, you will not indicate Type 1 or Type 2 for your CE hours. Instead, you will just list your hours under the category "CE Hours."
Please read the OT Rules and Practice Act for CE information. Chapter 367 of the OT Rules details CE.
All Continuing Education taken for license renewal must meet the definition of continuing education and further requirements in Chapter 367.
Please see the additional resources and tabs below, in addition to the FAQ page.
Mentorship Agreement (pdf) - Optional form for those completing a mentorship experience for CE
*All home study courses, educational teleconferences, Internet-based courses, and video instruction, as per §367.2(4), must meet the requirements in Chapter 367. There is no maximum to the number of continuing education hours that may be earned through such courses.
These courses must have:
1. Specified learning objectives;
2. A post-test; and
3. A certificate of completion.
In addition, educational teleconferences or Internet courses must reflect a pre-determined number of contact hours.
* When continuing education units (CEUs), professional development units (PDUs), or other units or credits are listed on the CE documentation, such must be accompanied by documentation from the continuing education provider noting the equivalence of the units or credits in terms of contact hours. This is not needed for AOTA CEUs, but be sure you know what such represent in hours. Remember that a contact hour is not the same as a learning credit, PDU, CAU, etc. When you renew, you must attest to your CE in contact hours.
* Information regarding categories of CE activities and the required documentation for each can be found in §367.2, Categories of Education. §367.3, Continuing Education Audit, provides further information regarding documentation. For example, continuing education documentation includes, but is not limited to, an official transcript, AOTA self-study completion certificates, copies of official sign-in or attendance sheets, course certificates of attendance, and certificates of completion.
In addition, when possible, licensees should keep supporting documentation that helps demonstrate how an activity meets CE requirements. For example, an official course description, syllabus, outline, and/or learning objectives may be useful if, for instance, the licensee is randomly selected for the CE Audit, as a certificate often lists just the name of a course and does not provide further information about its content.
* NBCOT Navigator™ Activities: Licensees may earn up to 2 contact hours of CE for the completion of NBCOT Navigator activities. For such activities, 1 NBCOT CAU is the equivalent of .25 CE hours. Documentation of this type of CE is a certificate of completion or letter of verification. Self-reflections and self-assessments, reading list and research portal activities, professional development plans, or similar activities are not eligible for CE credit.